Custom Search

My Blog List

aang


Also put a smurf avatar in his inventory in case he wants something completely different.

It looks nothing like him IRL. But his Neo outfit is pretty cool. And dig those tinted shades.

Maybe now that he has a few landmarks, lindens and other scripted goodies he could find or even create his own style. I hope I have been able to get his look right .“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free” (Michelangelo) ha ha!

It’s a bit like buying a birthday present for someone. Sometimes you get so excited when you’re out shopping that you end up buying what you want instead!

Authentic Voices

Whether I am adding songs to my LastFM, or books to my Facebook, or clothes on my avatar, or words on my blog or twitter ….

I certainly hope I am embedding and not so much embellishing my identity.

I hope my choice of flavour does not seem pretentious to others, as much as a reflection of my own perception to myself.

Whether willfully avatar wrangling or casually collecting a blog-full of cool

I fear not all are being sincere

Authentic voices in a mashed-up reality

I’m not completely cynical, really! The authentic voices are great and I’ve met some wonderful people through this mashed up reality! Embedding our identity in a digital form can do wonders to know ourselves and others a little better in this supersonically-paced (and often anonymous) world.

Embellishing identity (with wild untruths) on the other hand…well, I’m not sure how helpful that is. Embedding identity can still be playful and creative, without distorting the essence of “you”. I think!?

And to some, it doesn’t matter at all! Vanilla is as good as it gets.

How authentic is your digital reality?

Augmenting Motherhood

At this stage of my life I am working part time and caring for our three little “monkeys” under the age of five. You know what? I’m so glad things have turned out this way. I think women who are full-time mothers do an amazing, awesome job. Personally I also love being able to work part-time doing something I enjoy. I go a bit stir-crazy at home all day :)

I especially love the power of social media to connect with a global workforce, when I have less time than other co-workers. It makes it easier to keep up-to-date and collaborate with colleagues - without having to trawl through email. I find I am less likely to miss out on thought leadership in the organisation, because I can read about it on a blog or listen to it on a podcast. I love the fact that “it’s not what you know but who you know” is less about schmoozing these days and more about tagging.

I’m connected to some vibrant minds, news, links and events via the power of blogging and twitter at odd times of the day. I am not as dependent on “real-time” communication. I have the opportunity to occasionally work from home - saving time in transit and giving me flexibility to work around family needs. I am meeting like-minded colleagues from the other side of the globe in Secondlife. I enjoy my work and the special projects I help out on. A lot. Sometimes work seems like play.

I have known young women to consider working in fields such as nursing and teaching to have better opportunities for work/life balance and careers post-motherhood. I hope that blogging and other social media opens up opportunities for women to work in many other equally rewarding and admirable (and male dominated) areas, and in senior roles, so that women don’t limit their potential by a pre-conceived notion of a “balanced” career.

Needless to say I am enjoying the monkeys while they are young, although I’m not about to pretend it’s easy. Pre-school years are busy and wondrous. They amaze me every day. I’m very blessed.

0 comments: